Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Roses are red

Morning!

This is a post I've been meaning to share for a couple of weeks.  My blogging hasn't been too regular recently, and I'm trying to put that right!  I've got a few things lined up to share, so I just need some time to sit down and get on with writing them.  

This post is to share the flowers I made a few weeks ago, and seeing as it was Valentines Day, I decided to make some roses.  I'd done a bit of Pinterest searching  and had found lots of flower tutorials so thought I'd have a go instead of just pining.  Anyone else guilty of spending too much time browsing for projects to make one day and the list just gets bigger and bigger?  This is a link to the pin showing how these roses were made.  

The card stock colours used for these flowers was Soft Suede, Primrose Petals, Riding Hood Red and Pretty in Pink. They were all daubed around the edges with Cherry Cobbler ink with the Sponge Daubers.  Three flowers were punched using the Blossom Punch, and were assembled using a glue gun.  


The first flower, the centre one has a long glass headed pin through the centre of it, which is what the stems were attached to.  The second and third layers were then joined with the glue gun, and held in place for a few seconds until the glue dried, which keeps hold of their flower shape.


This is a close up of one of the roses.  It looks like there's a bit of glitter around the edges of the petals, but it must be traces of the glue from the gun.  It looks quite pretty! They are spritzed with the Champagne Shimmer Paint so that might be what is showing in the photo.


This picture shows the underneath of the rose, which was made using the retired punch 5 Petal Flower.  I used three different colours of green for these to add a bit of variety - Wild Wasabi, Garden Green and Old Olive.  

The pins were glued to thin green wire stems that I picked up in a local craft shop, and then I wound florist tape around the stem.


This is a basket with glass jars that I picked up from a local shop to display the roses in. It was less than a fiver, and a few days after I'd bought it, I saw one in Laura Ashley for about £12! 


The basket came with a little wooden heart, attached with some ribbon.  I replaced the ribbon it came with with some Cherry Cobbler Seam binding ribbon.


I'll be making these soon again I hope, they'd be great for a special birthday, or for table decorations for a wedding or a party. Let me know what you think!


  1. Papers / Card Stock - Soft Suede, Pretty In Pink, Primrose Petals, Riding Hood Red, Garden Green, Wild Wasabi, Old Olive
  2. Stamp Sets - N/A
  3. Tools - Sponge Daubers, Blossom Punch, 5 Petal Flower Punch (retired), Glue Gun (not SU) 
  4. Embellishments - Cherry Cobber Seam Binding Ribbon
  5. Inks/Markers - Cherry Cobbler
  6. Other - Vase, Basket & Jars, Florist Tape, Glass Headed Pins and Wire Stems (not SU)




3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous project Alex, love them! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful!! I like the glitter around the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooooo pretty! I would like to make lots and lots of these!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments